Monday, May 19, 2008

This week's Gospel: The Body and Blood of the Lord

This week’s Gospel as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel: The Body and Blood of the Lord
Using data publicly available from:
http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Calendar/2008/May08.html
and The Sunday Missal to cross-check.
This Week's Gospel: John 6: 51 – 58.
(25th-May-2008) The Body and Blood of the Lord, Year A

My flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.
This reading is very short, comprising only parts of two paragraphs of the thirteen of the caput given. Note, in the Sangallen notation, due to a scribal error, eleven is repeated, here with 11*.
The two paragraphs overlap slightly the eight verses specified, by four at the beginning, which are included for context, and by one at the end, which likewise rounds off the account. So in the Sangallen notation, it is, 82: 10 – 11. The reading is entirely from John.

LXXXII. Ubi transfretantes venerunt in terram Gennesar et turbæ secute sunt trans mare; de manna in deserto. De murmuratione Iudæorum eo quod dicit Ihesus: ego sum panis vivus.
(Where crossing the water they come to Genesar and the crowds followed him across the sea; of manna in the desert. Of the grumbling of the Judeans on account that Jesus said: I am the bread of life.)


82: 10
Indeed, indeed, I say unto you:
He that believeth in me hath everlasting life. I am the bread of life. Your fathers did eat manna in the desert: and are dead, this is the bread which cometh down from heaven: that if any man eat of it, he can not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world.
82: 11
The Judeans therefore strove among themselves, saying:
How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
Then Jesus said to them:
Indeed, indeed, I say unto you:
except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day. For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed. He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me: and I in him. As the living Father hath sent me and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna and are dead. He that eateth this bread shall live for ever.

No comments: