Thursday, July 16, 2009

This week's Gospel: 16th Sunday of Ordinary Time

The actual Latin source is from Sievers’ conflation of the Codex Fuldensis and Codex SanGall#56 with cross references to other partial copies of the Tatianic Gospel, but using Codex Sangallensis 56 as the main source.
Sievers’ work was to reconstruct from multiple witnesses, the best approximation to the Gospel as it left the hands of St Victor.
The Codex Fuldensis is inaccurately refered to as the Victor Codex, which it clearly is not. It is a copy of the Victor Codex, which is now, it seems, lost.
Henceforth, I will refer to the complete work as the Victor Codex, but thereby, I am implicitly referring to the original work from the hand of St. Victor.

16th Sunday of Ordinary Time, year B, as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel
Witnessed in Cod. Sang. 56.
Using data publicly available from:
http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Calendar/2009/Jul09.shtml
and The Sunday Missal to cross-check.
This Week's Gospel: Mark 6: 30 - 34
(19th-July-2009) 16th Sunday of Ordinary Time, year B.

They were like sheep without a shepherd.
The Victor Codex does not support this reading.
I will take this failure to find support as an omen that the time has come for me to stop this line of this thread.
I will however, give periodic reports on my work transcribing Ernestus Ranke’s copy of the Codex Fuldensis.


Get the Ebook here.

As a postscript:
Ernestus Ranke’s transliteration of the Codex Fuldensis, with comments in Latin can be read here, and downloaded free of charge as a pdf:
Google Books
and my work in OCRing, and printing to pdf in the original format can be found here:
My OCR file
My intent is to translate the whole work into English, and help would be appreciated in translating the non-scriptural parts of the text, and the prefaces, for which I have no translation key. Particularly Ranke’s technical introduction, and what looks like a poem towards the end.
There is also a great wadge of tables after this poem which is in small print, and difficult to read, including some Greek text. I may, with some regret, omit this, unless someone better than me can provide considerable assistance.
Progress report:
186 pages out of 616 completed so far……

No comments: