Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Body and Blood of Our Lord as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel

The actual Latin source is from Sievers’ conflation of the Codex Fuldensis and Codex SanGall#56 with cross references to other partial copies of the Tatianic Gospel, but using Codex Sangallensis 56 as the main source.
Sievers’ work was to reconstruct from multiple witnesses, the best approximation to the Gospel as it left the hands of St Victor.
The Codex Fuldensis is inaccurately refered to as the Victor Codex, which it clearly is not. It is a copy of the Victor Codex, which is now, it seems, lost.
Henceforth, I will refer to the complete work as the Victor Codex, but thereby, I am implicitly referring to the original work from the hand of St. Victor.

The Body and Blood of Our Lord as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel
Witnessed in Cod. Sang. 56.
Using data publicly available from:
http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Calendar/2009/Jun09.shtml
and The Sunday Missal to cross-check.
This Week's Gospel: Mark 14: 12 - 16, 22 - 26
(14th-Jun-2009) The Body and Blood of Our Lord, year B

This is my body. This is my blood.
Here we are recapitulating recent readings. From the first capitulum, we have SG 157: 1 – 5, and from the second, we have SG 160: 1 – 3. There is a longish tract from John, before the closing verse from Mark, which almost stands in its own context, so it is here omitted.

CLV. Ubi Ihesus mittet discipulos præparare sibi pascha et dicit eis, quod unus ex vobis tradit me.
(Where Jesus sends the disciples to prepare the Pasch for Him, and he says to them: One of you betrays me.)
CLVI. Ubi Ihesus tradet de sacramento corporis et sanguinis sui et Ubi Ihesus dicit ad Petrum: expetivit satanas, ut vos ventilet, et omnes hodiæ in me scandalizamini .
(Where Jesus hands over the sacrament of His body and blood, and where Jesus says to Peter: Satan hath desired that he winnow you, and all this day be scandalised in me.)

157: 1
And on the first day of the feast of unleavened bread,
the disciples came to Jesus, saying:
Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the pasch?
2
But Jesus said:
Go ye into the city and as you enter,
there shall meet you a man carrying a pitcher of water:
follow him into the house where he entereth in,
to whomsoever he shall lead you.
3
And you shall say to the master of the house:
The master saith:
My time is near at hand.
With thee I make the pasch with my disciples.
4
And he will shew you a large dining room furnished.
And there prepare ye for us.
5
And his disciples went their way.
And they found as he had told them:
and they prepared the pasch.

160: 1
And whilst they were at supper,
Jesus took bread
and blessed
and broke
and gave to his disciples,
saying:
Take ye and eat.
This is my body, which is given for you.
2
And taking the chalice,
he gave thanks
and blessed
and gave to them,
saying:
Drink ye all, of this,
for this is my blood of the new testament,
which shall be shed for you
and for many unto remission of sins.
3
And I say to you,
I will not drink
from henceforth
of this fruit of the vine
until that day
when I shall drink it new,
with you,
in the kingdom of my Father.
Do this for a memorial of me.

Get the Ebook here.

As a postscript:
Ernestus Ranke’s transliteration of the Codex Fuldensis, with comments in Latin can be read here, and downloaded free of charge as a pdf:
Google Books
and my work in OCRing, and printing to pdf in the original format can be found here:
My OCR file
My intent is to translate the whole work into English, and help would be appreciated in translating the non-scriptural parts of the text, and the prefaces, for which I have no translation key. Particularly Ranke’s technical introduction, and what looks like a poem towards the end.
There is also a great wadge of tables after this poem which is in small print, and difficult to read, including some Greek text. I may, with some regret, omit this, unless someone better than me can provide considerable assistance.
Progress report:
141 pages out of 620 completed so far……

No comments: