Friday, May 15, 2009

This week's Gospel: 6th Sunday of Easter

The actual Latin source is Codex Sangallensis 56,
but this is believed to be an ultra-faithful copy of Victor's Codex Fuldensis Gospel.

This week’s Gospel as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel: 6th Sunday of Easter
Using data publicly available from:
http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Calendar/2009/May09.shtml
and The Sunday Missal to cross-check.
This Week's Gospel: John 15: 9 - 17
(17th-May-2009) 6th Sunday of Easter, Year B

A man can have no greater love than to lay down his life for his friends.
This reading continues from last week’s reading. As with last week, the CodSang 56 gives close equivalence to he modern verse boundaries, though verses 11, and 12 are combine, as are verses 13and 14.
There is though a significant omission of part of verse 11.
To comply with the reading, which overlaps the CS56 divisions at both ends, I will here ignore the CS56 divisions, and use the prescribed verse boundaries. Thus I will be repeating verse 9 and 10, which I included with last week’s reading.
As with Last week, the reading is entirely from John.

CLVIIII. Ubi Ihesus dicit: ego sum vitis et vos palmites.
(Where Jesus says: I am the vine and you the branches.)

167: 8
As the Father hath loved me,
I also have loved you.
Abide in my love.
9
If you keep my commandments,
you shall abide in my love:
as I also have kept my Father’s commandments
and do abide in his love.

168: 1
These things I have spoken to you,
that my joy may be filled.
This is my commandment,
that you love one another,
as I have loved you.
2
Greater love than this no man hath,
that a man lay down his life for his friends.

You are my friends,
if you do the things that I command you.
3
I will not now call you servants:
for the servant knoweth not what his lord doth.
But I have called you friends,
because all things,
whatsoever I have heard of my Father,
I have made known to you.
4
You have not chosen me:
but I have chosen you;
and have appointed you,
that you should go and should bring forth fruit;
and your fruit should remain:
that whatsoever you shall ask of the Father in my name,
he may give it you.

169: 1
These things I command you,
that you love one another.

Get the Ebook here.

As a postscript:
Ernestus Ranke’s transliteration of the Codex Fuldensis, with comments in Latin can be read here, and downloaded free of charge as a pdf:
Google Books
and my work in OCRing, and printing to pdf in the original format can be found here:
My OCR file
My intent is to translate the whole work into English, and help would be appreciated in translating the non-scriptural parts of the text, and the prefaces, for which I have no translation key. Particularly Ranke’s technical introduction, and what looks like a poem towards the end.
There is also a great wadge of tables after this poem which is in small print, and difficult to read, including some Greek text. I may, with some regret, omit this, unless someone better than me can provide considerable assistance.
Progress report:
122 pages out of 620 completed so far……
What has become quite clear is that Cod. Sang. 56 is not a copy of the Codex Fuldensis Gospel. They are both copied from an earlier recension, which might have been from St Victor’s hand.
Continuing with the transcription, I have found that although the text in CF Gospel very closely follows the CS56 text, the capitulum boundaries shown by Ranke differ from those in CS56, and worse, that in the CF, the capitulum headings do not correctly reference with the index marks in the text. Thus the CF is found to not be an accurately assembled document. It thus now seems that the CS56 is the better copy of St. Victor’s found Gospel.
What the CF gives us though, is a view of Victor’s New Testament, of which the Gospel is just a part.

No comments: