Thursday, May 7, 2009

This week's Gospel: 5th Sunday of Easter

The actual Latin source is Codex Sangallensis 56,
but this is believed to be an ultra-faithful copy of Victor's Codex Fuldensis Gospel.

This week’s Gospel as in the Codex Fuldensis Gospel: 5th Sunday of Easter
Using data publicly available from:
http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Calendar/2009/May09.shtml
and The Sunday Missal to cross-check.
This Week's Gospel: John 15: 1 - 8
(10th-May-2009) 5th Sunday of Easter, Year B

Whoever remains in me, with me in him, bears fruit in plenty.
This reading comes from the beginning of the heading given. Apart from paragraph 167: 1, which is equivalent to verses 1 & 2, the paragraphs correspond one for one with the modern verse breaks. Thus, to be precise, I should end the reading with paragraph 7, but Cod. Sang 56 puts the natural break two paragraphs, or verses later, and I will so follow. The reading is entirely from John.
Cap CLVIIII is much more than just a heading, it is a chapter in its own right, and a long chapter at that, comprising some 70 paragraphs.

CLVIIII. Ubi Ihesus dicit: ego sum vitis et vos palmites.
(Where Jesus says: I am the vine and you the branches.)

167: 1
He saith to them:
I am the true vine:
and my Father is the husbandman.
Every branch in me that beareth not fruit,
he will take away:
and every one that beareth fruit,
he will purge it,
that it may bring forth more fruit.
2
Now you are clean,
by reason of the word which I have spoken to you.
Abide in me:
and I in you.
3
As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself,
unless it abide in the vine,
so neither can you,
unless you abide in me.
4
I am the vine:
you the branches.
He that abideth in me,
and I in him,
the same beareth much fruit:

for without me you can do nothing.
5
If any one abide not in me,
he shall be cast forth as a branch and shall wither:
and they shall gather him up
and cast him into the fire:
and he burneth.
6
If you abide in me
and my words abide in you,
you shall ask whatever you will:
and it shall be done unto you.
7
In this is my Father glorified:
that you bring forth very much fruit
and become my disciples.
8
As the Father hath loved me,
I also have loved you.
Abide in my love.
9
If you keep my commandments,
you shall abide in my love:
as I also have kept my Father’s commandments
and do abide in his love.


Get the Ebook here.

As a postscript:
Ernestus Ranke’s transliteration of the Codex Fuldensis, with comments in Latin can be read here, and downloaded free of charge as a pdf:
Google Books
and my work in OCRing, and printing to pdf in the original format can be found here:
My OCR file
My intent is to translate the whole work into English, and help would be appreciated in translating the non-scriptural parts of the text, for which I have no translation key. Particularly Ranke’s technical introduction, and what looks like a poem towards the end.
There is also a great wadge of tables after this poem which is in small print, and difficult to read, including some Greek text. I may, with some regret, omit this, unless someone better than me can provide considerable assistance.
Progress report:
101 pages out of 620 completed so far……
What has become quite clear is that Cod. Sang 56 is not a copy of the Codex Fuldensis. They are both copied from an earlier recension, which might have been from St Victor’s hand.
I believe St Boniface to have employed a nunnery close to Crediton as a document factory. I deduce this from this excerpt from Aloysius Roche’s “In the Track of the Gospel”.
You can find the relevant pages here.
I am tempted to conclude that the copy of the scriptures mentioned is none other than the Codex Fuldensis, of which I have here Ernestus Ranke’s transliteration. Yes. I am here conflating the providers of tha alter cloth, etc. with the nunnery at Wimborne in Dorset, but would Boniface do other than choose for his teachers, the educated nuns who had provided such a fine copy of St Victor’s New Testament?

No comments: